Tuesday 6 November 2012

Review: Aveda Botanical Kinetics Purifying Gel Cleanser and Toner

Botanical Kinetics Purifying Gel Cleanser


First: the cleanser. I purchased this product after receiving an Aveda facial at one of their spas. The esthetician used this gel cleanser as part of the experience (cleansing, toning, exfoliation, masque, moisturizer, and massage - highly recommended!). She told me that just a little bit would remove makeup and impurities and leave my skin soft and hydrated. She wasn't lying. I loved the herbal smell and the smooth feeling of the gel on my face. After the facial, I wanted to purchase the products she used. She told me this cleanser was best suited for my skin type (slightly dry/slightly oily). I was to use one pump morning and night and to rub it in with the pads of my fingers and blot dry with a towel.

I've been using the cleanser for exactly one week now and it's made a huge difference in my skin. Before, I was using black mud soap from Israel as my main cleanser with no toner or moisturizer. My face was riddled with black heads and I was breaking out weekly. The only qualm I have about this cleanser is that it doesn't fully remove my mascara. I have to use a tissue to wipe away the excess after cleansing. It's not a lot, but it's enough to annoy me. But that tells me that this cleanser isn't stripping my skin, which is a good thing. It is plant-based and doesn't have sodium lauryl sulfate like most other cleansers I've used that are harsh and drying to the skin. It foams just enough to wash away impurities and has 16 different organic essential oils that make up a sensual aroma. I love the way my skin smells and feels after using it!

The $30 price tag is a bit hefty, but only one pump is needed and this 150 mL bottle will last me at least 6 months. I could buy a $10 cleanser from the drug store every month or two and it would add up to the same amount. 

Now, the toner.

Botanical Kinetics Toning Mist


The esthetician at the Aveda spa told me that my skin wasn't dry enough for a moisturizer and that this toning mist would help replenish moisture and balance my skin tone. It has a light herbal aroma and feels cooling on the skin. The directions say to use it in the morning after cleansing, so that's what I do. I spritz it over my face and let it dry before using their Inner Light tinted moisturizer. It's hydrating and my skin doesn't feel tight or dry after using it. It's expensive for a toner, but a little goes a long way.

I know, I know - it sounds like a lot of hype to promote Aveda. But, I've fallen in love with their products and services. The facial was excellent and so are the products I've purchased. I like them so much, I've considered giving them as gifts!

Edit: Fast forward almost one month later and I would like to report that my skin is flawless. During the first week (and after the first exfoliation), I had some mild breakouts but nothing major. Now, I don't get pimples at all! I'm very pleased with these products. The only gripe, as I said before, is that it doesn't remove all my mascara (specifically Maybelline's "The Falsies"). I use it with Cover Girl Lash Blast and it removes it just fine. Hooray!


No comments:

Post a Comment